Sunday, May 2, 2010

Barefoot running

I attempted my first barefoot run this morning. The stadium was closed down for some event, so I had to try it out at a smaller park near my place.

I was fearful of getting cut by glasses, punctured by nails / twigs. It turned out that my fears were unfounded (yet!), despite taking some risks in stepping off the path into the grass. I paid more attention to where I was stepping too!

The most significant difference from shod running is the footstrike. Instead of landing on my heels, I land on the balls of my feet - which strains my calves and feet muscles.

On my way back, I ran on tarmac which were much rougher on my feet.

It was an interesting experience! Although I was lucky not to have got myself cut or hurt through the run. I would give it another shot and eventually try a 10km on barefoot running.

No comments:

Post a Comment